The Department of Botany was established as a single faculty department in 1993 to offer
B.Sc. (Botany) complementary course. It was then upgraded to a full-fledged UG department in
2013 with the introduction of B.Sc. Plant Science programme. Presently, the department is run
by a permanent faculty supported by 4 guest faculties. B.Sc. Plant Science is a language reduced
programme reinforced by 4 common courses in related fields.
- To impart Botany education with a view to promoting and spreading the temper of Science
and technology among the students as well as the society.
- To discover, maintain and transit knowledge concerning basic plant biology and provide
leadership in biological sciences.
- To provide the best educational opportunities possible for students for holistic development
and academic excellence to contribute effectively to the research and development of the subject.
- To promote conservation of plant species by planting, building awareness among the people
for biodiversity conservation by conducting surveys, organizing popular talks, exhibition, public
hearing, quiz competitions etc.
- Launching training programme in livelihood generation, such as mushroom, medicinal plants,
propagation methods and cultivation of timber and fruit bearing species.