1. Newly instituted an endowment for topper in complementary Botany in the name of Sri PP Krishnan
Nambiar, winner Ms Babina
2. A Talk on “Role of Mycorrhiza in maintaining soil fertility” by Dr Philomina Abraham
1. Campus flora identified and documented
2. Field trip to Calicut University Botanical garden
3. Endowment awarded to Miss Kavitha Anand
1. Campus flora-Campus biodiversity enrichment programme-Supported by Kerala Biodiversity board
2. National Science Day celebrated with the financial support of KSCSTE, Chief guest- Dr K Shamsudheen
1. Green house project submitted and accepted
2. Campus flora details updated
1. Popularization of organic farming and cultivation
2. Edible mushroom cultivation - Demonstration class
1. Three day exhibition on medicinal plants
2. Invited lecture on “commercial medicinal plant cultivation” by Dr C Kunhikannan, ICFRE, Coimbatore
3. Flora expedition to silent valley and pookonttumkavu
4. Developed a new method for oyster mushroom cultivation and published.
1. Observed world environment day by planting trees in the campus.
2. Organized a field trip to Madayippara and conducted a demonstration of vegetable propagation of plants and biological control of plant diseases by bacterial formulation.
3. Distributed vegetable seeds to all other departments to motivate family farming and self sufficiency in vegetable production.
4. As a part of world wetland day celebrations, a film show conducted on Mangroves.
5. The evergreen club released a manuscript magazine-'Blooming blossoms'.
1. The department continued Biodiversity explorations at Poongottukavu,
Mattanur,a critically endangered ecosystem.
2. Visited Malabar Botanic Garden and Research Institute, Kozhikkode, for institution visit.
3. Mandatory study tour for 2017-18 is conducted to Wayanad and Ooty. Visited MS Swaminathan Research Institute, Wyanad and Govt. Botanic Garden, Dodda Betta Hills and a tea factory at Ooty.
4. Tree labeling. Sixty campus trees are identified and tagged.
5. A wall magazine has been installed. It is made with 100% biodegradable materials.
6. Dr. Balakrishnan expanded environmental leadership initiatives by officiating as Executive Committee member, SEEK, an outstanding NGO, Executive Committee member, Mangrove Study Centre, Kannur, and also as Steering Committee member for Heritage site, Kerala State Biodiversity Board.
7. Conducted a quiz programme on daily basis.
8. Cultivated Ginger as part of its organic farming promotion initiative.
9. Visited S&T exhibition conducted at Tellicherry during KSCSTE Kerala Science Congress.
1. Participated in World water day celebrations of the NCC, Mattanur college unit and delivered a
speech on Water Scenario of the state.
2. Conducted 5 day study tour to Wyanad, Coorg and Ooty with participation of final year plant Science students.
3. Guided two investigatory projects of B.Sc.Plant Science such as Arbuuscular mycorrhizal fungi and Manageent of Post-harvest rot of Amorphophalus paeonifolius corms.
4. Guiding a Post Graduate student for project work on Eco-friendly management of a plant disease.
5. Conducted an outreach programme on Azolla cultivation for a dairy farm unit consisting of 15 families at Peralam, Kasargod district,Kerala.
6. Observed world environment day with financial support from KSCSTE and conducted seminar and exhibition on plastic pollution and workshop on benign alternatives to plastic
1. Second year B.Sc. Plant Science students and teachers participated in rain camp at Madayippara, an
environmental awareness programme, organized by SEEK, a reputed environmental NGO, based at
Payyanur, Kannur Dt., Kerala.
2. Conducted a one day camp at Poongottukavu, a rare Myristica swamp forest of Northern Kerala, located at Mattanur, and made ecological studies.
3. An environmental documentary,viz. Pallam, was screened for students and staff. A photo exhibition was also arranged concurrently.
4. Six days study tour was conducted for final year students, covering places viz. Coimbatore, Kodaikanal, Mysuru and Chikmangaluru from 15 to 21 st December, 2019.
5. Dr.Balakrishnan P.participated in All India Botanical Congress at University of Calicut and made a paper presentation entitled Post harvest rot of Amorphophallus paeoniiformis corms.
1. Teachers day was celebrated on September 4, 2021 through online platform.The Chief Guest
of the programme was Dr Unnikrishnan N, (HOD ,(Rtd.),Dept. of Biotechnology, CMS College,
Kottayam; HOD, (Rtd.),Dept. of Botany, SVR College, Kottayam).
2. A programme called’ Know this plant’was initiated to familiarize the local plants to students. Plants will be exhibited infront of the department every day with their details from 3/11/2021.
3. A Wall magazine was started for the students, meant for exhibiting the extra curricular skills of the students on 8/11/2021
4. A poster presentation was conducted in connection with National Energy Conservation Day on December 14, 2021 in association with Bhoomithrasena Club.
5. Bhoomithrasena Club and Department of Botany observed World Wetland day. A webinar on Wetlands and its conservation was conducted on 2/2/ 2022 The chief guest of the programme was Dr.Chandramohan .K.T.Associate Professor and Head, Department of Botany, Government Brennan College and Syndicate member, Kannur University .A photography and slogan contest was also conducted in connection with the programme.
6. Department of Botany, in collaboration with Nature Club, conducted an invited lecture on ‘Naming of Plants’,16 th February 2022. The Chief Guest of the programme was Dr .SV.Predeep, Associate Professor and Head (Rtd.),Dept. of Botany, SVR College, Kottayam.
7. World Wildlife day was observed on 3/3/ 2022 by conducting a Webinar along with Nature Club and Bhoomithrasena Club. The chief guest of the programme was Mr Vignesh B Sivan, Kerala State Wildlife and Photography Winner 2020-21.
8. Bhoomithrasena Club and Department of Botany conducted a quiz competition in connection with International day of Forests on March 21, 2022 . Cash award was given to the winners.
9. Department of Botany and Bhoomithrasena Club, conducted an invited lecture on Medicinal plants on 23 rd March 2022 at Pazhassi Hall. The Chief Guest of the programme was Dasan Peralessery, Environmental activist. Medicinal plants was distributed among the students as a part of the program.
10. A hands-on training on Vegetative propagation methods was held on 23 rd March 2022. The resource person for the programme was Dr Balakrishnan .P ( Rtd Associate Professor and Head, Department of Botany, PRNSS College)
1. A carrer orientation programme ‘Trends in life Sciences’ was conducted on
24/01/2023. The chief guest of the programme is Mr. Vineesh Sebastian, Assistant
Professor in Zoology, Nirmalagiri College, Koothuparamba.
2. Department of Botany ,Bhoomithrasena Club and Nature Club together conducted a Nature camp at Kannavam forest on 20/10/2022 in collaboration with Kerala Forest and Wildlife department.
3. A study tour was conducted for final year students covering Chikmagallur and Goa from 27st January to 1 st February 2022.
4. Students of B.Sc Plant Science participated in Dr V.V.Sivarajan Memorial Talk and Plant Taxonomy Workshop on 18/12/2022 at Govt. HSS Padiyoor.
5. Tree Plantation Campain was conducted in the campus in collaboration with CISF Unit ASG Kannur on 13/07/2022.Plantlets was planted in the campus.
6. Science departments of the College conducted a Science exhibition on National Science Day 28 th February and March1st 2023. Students of various nearby schools visited the institution.