The Department of Botany was established as a single faculty department in 1993 to offer B.Sc. (Botany) complementary course. It was then upgraded to a full-fledged UG department in 2013 with the introduction of B.Sc. Plant Science programme. Presently, the department is run by a permanent faculty supported by 4 guest faculties. B.Sc. Plant Science is a language reduced programme reinforced by 4 common courses in related fields.
1. To impart Botany education with a view to promoting and spreading the temper of Science and technology among the students as well as the society.
2. To discover, maintain and transit knowledge concerning basic plant biology and provide leadership in biological sciences.
3. To provide the best educational opportunities possible for students for holistic development and academic excellence to contribute effectively to the research and development of the subject.
4. To promote conservation of plant species by planting, building awareness among the people for biodiversity conservation by conducting surveys, organizing popular talks, exhibition, public hearing, quiz competitions etc.
5. Launching training programme in livelihood generation, such as mushroom, medicinal plants, propagation methods and cultivation of timber and fruit bearing species.